Friday, January 29, 2010

Georgetown UNESCO Heritage City - The Buffer Zone

The Buffer Zone
The Georgetown Heritage City is divided into Core Zone and Buffer Zone. The Buffer Zone can be divided into 4 lines, the area within the 4 lines is the buffer zone.

The Buffer zone is bordered by:

1. West line: Transfer Road,
2. South line : Prangin Road, Prangin Road Ghaut into the sea.
3. East line: Same as the West line of Core Zone
4. North line: From the T junction of Transfer Road/Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah(Northem Road) to the SXI(St Xavier Institution)field.

View Larger Map

The buffer zone boundary line follows the historic waterway of 19th century George Town,namely the Transfer Road Ditch and the Prangin Canal. Transfer Road Ditch no longer exists, the Prangin Canal is now all covered, it starts from the Sia bui or Prangin Road Wholesale Market to the Masjid Titi Papan, Burmah Road.

West line

From North Beach, draw a line to join with Transfer Road (Jalan Transfer). Sri Bahari Road (Jalan Sri Bahari) is in the buffer zone. Hutton Lane, Argyll Road (Jalan Argyll) is bisected into two halves. Keramat Dato Koyah is within the buffer zone. Penang Police Headquarter(Penang Road), and Chowrasta Market is in the buffer zone.

South Line

At the junction of Transfer Road and Burmah Road (Jalan Burmah), the boundary line turns southeast. It follows Burmah Road to Penang Road (Jalan Penang), then cross into Prangin Road (Jalan Dr Lim Chwee Leong). Masjid Titi Papan and Loke Thye Kee are in the buffer zone. Komtar and Prangin Mall are outside the buffer zone, not within the heritage city area. Su Beng Clinic is within Buffer Zone. Sia-buay or Prangin Road Wholesale market(since demolished) is not within heritage zone.

The boundary line continues along Prangin Road, cutting Beach Street into halves, down Prangin Road Ghaut (Gat Jalan Prangin) and straight out into the sea.

East line
Same as the West line of Core Zone. The line just divided the Core and Buffer zones.

North line

It actually follow the sea shore of the island. From the T junction of Transfer Road/Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah(Northem Road) to the SXI field.

E&O Hotel is in the core zone. Shi Chung Branch School is in the buffer zone.

SXI in buffer zone, Convent Light Street in Core Zone.

Heritages outside UNESCO Core & Buffer Zone

Heritage buildings outside the UNESCO zone areas, should be protected by other local guideline. It should be quickly gazetted , to avoid the buildings from demolished for development. But unfortunate state government has no power to gazette heritage buildings, it is federal power. It is hope the state government will at least protect the heritage by local law which provide MPPP or state government to gazette as state heritage.

We should explore the way to protect heritage buildings outside UNESCO heritage zone. There are still many colonial shop houses, outside the heritage city border.....

Georgetown UNESCO Heritage City - The Core Zone

George Town, Penang has been awarded Heritage City status by UNESCO, together with Malacca, primarily on the ‘cultural townscape’ of the old colonial quarter within the inner city, a place that functioned as a multi-ethnic cradle and crossroads along the Malacca Straits for cultural and trading exchanges between the East and West for a period of over 500 years.

This goes beyond the often-touted distinction of George Town having the highest number of pre-war buildings, compared to any other urban center in Southeast Asia, as this (physical) attribute is subsumed under the ‘cultural landscape’ criteria that is the main awarding guideline for the recently acquired UNESCO status. It is difficult for a layman and new comer/tourist to visualize the border of the Core Zones.

The Core Zone

There is no physical identification to alert the people of the core zone; even we are standing at the core zone, a new comer or tourist may not aware he or she is standing inside the core zone, a UNESCO heritage site.

The original heritage zones in Inner city of Georgetown were divided into six areas. The six areas were categorized according to the most prevalent economic or cultural activities. They were:

*Seven street precinct
*Cultural precinct of Chulia Street and Love Lane
*Historical Commercial district of Little India
*Waterfront business financial district
*Mosque and clan house enclave
*Market and shopping district

The Heritage city is also divided into Core and Buffer Zones.

View Larger Map

The 4 Zone Border Lines

For easy reference for the visitors to Georgetown Heritage City. The Core Zone can be divided into 4 border line; where West Line and South Line are land lines; where North Line and East Line are sea lines. The area within the 4 North, East, Sourth and West Lines is the George Town UNESCO Heritage Core Zones.

West Line

The core zone boundary from the North, it start from North Beach, where the Core Zone West border line cut through the field of SXI. It separate the SXI field to Buffer Zone and Convent Light School to Core Zone.

Crossing the Farquhar Street, the North line follow the Love Lane. The Church of the Assumption, Argus Lane, Stewart Lane, which are all on the left of the line, are in the core zone. However , SXI, Shih Chung School, Carpenter's Guild, area on the right of the line, including Muntri Street are in the Buffer Zone.

The North Core Zone line then cross Chulia Street,which bisects the street into two zones. The part from Love Lane junction to Penang Road is Buffer Zone, the one from Love Lane to Beach Street is Core Zone. The line then go straight to Carnarvon Street until Campbell Street. The Campbell Street Market is in the Buffer Zone, Buckingham Street is in Core Zone.

From Campbell Street, the line continue along Carnarvon Street,At the junction of Carnavon Street with Kampung Kaka, the boundary makes a left turn into Kampung Kaka. Then it turns right into Kampung Kolam. The police station is at Buffer Zone, and The Penang Tourism Information Centre is in the Core Zone.

Now the boundary line runs along Carnavon Street, until it reach Carnarvon Lane, where it stopped. The Li Teik Siah is at Buffer Zone.

South Line

The South line start from Carnavon Street, at the cross road between Carnarvon Street, Kimberley Street and Carnarvon Lane. It turn eastward into Carnavon Lane (Lorong Carnavon)It goes to about 30 feet from the end of Carnavon Lane, then crosses over to Malay Street (Lebuh Melayu). It follows Malay Street in a southeast direction. Toh Aka Lane (Lorong Toh Aka) is in the core zone. Fish Lane (Lorong Ikan) is in the buffer zone.

The boundary line from Malay Street goes all the way and out into the sea, bisecting Beach Street (Lebuh Pantai). The Beach street on the left is in core zone, one on the right is in buffer zone. Following along the Gat Lebuh Melayu, crossing Victoria Street (Lebuh Victoria). The left is core zone and right is buffer zone. It then cross Weld Quay. The clan jetties north of Malay Street Ghaut (Gat Lebuh Melayu) is in the core zone, south of it, in the buffer zone.

The North Line

This is actually sea border. It follow the sea shore line from the Cap at Swettenham Pier to Convent Light Street School.

The East Line

It is also sea border. It follow the sea shore line from the Port Swettenham to the clan jetty. The clan jetties north of Malay Street Ghaut (Gat Lebuh Melayu) is in the core zone, south of it, in the buffer zone.

Melaka and George Town, Historic Cities of the Straits of Malacca

Malacca and Penang was jointly awarded as UNESCO site for 2008 on 7 July 2008. It was awarded based on Criteria: (ii)(iii)(iv). The core heritage area is 109.38 hectare, and the buffer zone is 150.04 hectare.

The following are extracted from the official web sites from UNESCO:

Melaka and George Town, historic cities of the Straits of Malacca have developed over 500 years of trading and cultural exchanges between East and West in the Straits of Malacca. The influences of Asia and Europe have endowed the towns with a specific multicultural heritage that is both tangible and intangible. With its government buildings, churches, squares and fortifications,

Melaka demonstrates the early stages of this history originating in the 15th-century Malay sultanate and the Portuguese and Dutch periods beginning in the early 16th century.

Featuring residential and commercial buildings, George Town represents the British era from the end of the 18th century.

The two towns constitute a unique architectural and cultural townscape without parallel anywhere in East and Southeast Asia.

Outstanding Universal Value

Melaka and George Town, Malaysia, are remarkable examples of historic colonial towns on the Straits of Malacca that demonstrate a succession of historical and cultural influences arising from their former function as trading ports linking East and West. These are the most complete surviving historic city centres on the Straits of Malacca with a multi-cultural living heritage originating from the trade routes from Great Britain and Europe through the Middle East, the Indian subcontinent and the Malay Archipelago to China. Both towns bear testimony to a living multi-cultural heritage and tradition of Asia, where the many religions and cultures met and coexisted. They reflect the coming together of cultural elements from the Malay Archipelago, India and China with those of Europe, to create a unique architecture, culture and townscape.

Criterion (ii): Melaka and George Town represent exceptional examples of multi-cultural trading towns in East and Southeast Asia, forged from the mercantile and exchanges of Malay, Chinese, and Indian cultures and three successive European colonial powers for almost 500 years, each with its imprints on the architecture and urban form, technology and monumental art. Both towns show different stages of development and the successive changes over a long span of time and are thus complementary.

Criterion (iii): Melaka and George Town are living testimony to the multi-cultural heritage and tradition of Asia, and European colonial influences. This multi-cultural tangible and intangible heritage is expressed in the great variety of religious buildings of different faiths, ethnic quarters, the many languages, worship and religious festivals, dances, costumes, art and music, food, and daily life.

Criterion (iv): Melaka and George Town reflect a mixture of influences which have created a unique architec¬ture, culture and townscape without parallel anywhere in East and South Asia. In particular, they demonstrate an exceptional range of shophouses and townhouses. These buildings show many different types and stages of development of the building type, some originating in the Dutch or Portuguese periods.

The integrity of the nominated areas in both towns is related to the presence of all the elements necessary to express their Outstanding Universal Value. The properties have retained their authenticity; listed monuments and sites have been restored with appropriate treatments regarding design, materials, methodologies, techniques and workmanship, in accordance with conservation guidelines and principles.

The protective measures for the properties are adequate. Both towns exhibit a generally acceptable state of conservation, although efforts are required to ensure the conservation of shophouses. The management plans and structures are adequate, and can be enhanced through the continuing conservation programs of the State Party.


Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Explanade(旧关仔角)

The Penang Explanade

The Explanade(Penang), the stretch of road along the north sea front of Penang island; where Capt Francis Light landed at Fort Cornwallis.

The Chinese called The Explanade as "Kuan Nga Kak(关仔角)",literally means Check Point Corneror government corner. " Kuan(关)" in Chinese mean the check point, the place must be the check point for either custom/tax for the sea traders. But later it was called " Ku Kuan Nga Kak(旧关仔角)" it is literally means old checkpoint corner or old government corner or old Explanade. This is to distinguish the original Explanade from Gurney Drive(Persiaran Gurney),which was called "Xin Kuan Nga Kak(新关仔角)", which literally means the new check point/government corner or new Explanade; even though there was no government building in Gurney Drive. Gurney Drive was named after Sir Henry Gurney, High Commissioner of the Federation of Malaya (1950-1951) assassinated during the Malayan Emergency. The Explanade is also called Phak Kew Por, which literally means ball playing field,which was referring to Padang Kota Lama or Explanade field or simply Padang, which was used for cricket playing by the colonist. But this name has not been used by the new generations, it is still called "Ku Kuan Nga Kak(旧关仔角)".

The Explanade recently become news in the local newspaper. Firstly it will be the venue of Speakers' Corner and Democracy Square proposed by the state government; secondly it was the wrong road sign set up for the name of Explanade by MPPP.

Explanade has been the location for events and festivals for early Penang. It was the popular sea front area for local population, until Gurney Drive come to the picture. I still remember until early seventies, Gurney Drive still a quite place with stretch of trees along the road, we still can go there for fishing. There was not much activities there. The Explanade was the hub of activities.

But it changed after the early eighties to nineties, when factories mushroomed in Bayan Lepas, and population began to move to the area. After the abolish of the Rent Control Act, George Town become quite at night, and Explanade, without modern entertainment activities like Gurney Drive. fail to attract the city folk and become more quite......with the old population remained in George Town passed away, Explanade have been slowly been forgotten....despite the old city hall is still standing elegantly in front of the Explanade field(Padang Kota Lama), and Fort Cornwallis where Capt Francis Light first landed is within walking distance.

MPPP did not see the potential of tourism for Explanade, it was in neglected state; except for occasional events taking place there. Explanade can be better, a beautiful historical heritage site for the tourism, the pride of Penang history. Together with Light Street, it can be a package for the tourist looking for history of Penang. Did MPPP failed to make Explanade the pride of Penang, the old Penang? it is obvious especially their headquarter is located in the place.

Gurney Drive has taken away the prime of Explanade, which become quite seafront even at night; it only become active when there is events or festivals held over there. Otherwise it is only the place for tourists....

Recently, Queensbay Mall come into the picture as competitor for sea front lover. You can see the Pulau Jerejak and Penang Bridge from the sea shore; better view than the Explanade. Gurney Drive still the prime area for the Penang people for shopping, food and night.

But please don't built any building that does not match the heritage environment , like Dewan Sri Pulau Pinang....this is a heritage site of founding of Penang. We need professional of Heritage Management to run the Explanade.

When is the last time you go to Explanade?.... Explanade reserve better respect....

What is Explanade?

According to wikipedia, "An esplanade is a long, open, level area, usually next to a river or large body of water, where people may walk. This allows people to promenade along the sea front, usually for recreational purposes, whatever the state of the tide, without having to walk on the beach". Esplanades became popular in Victorian times when it was fashionable to visit seaside resorts.

The original meaning of esplanade was a large, open, level area outside fortress or city walls to provide clear fields of fire for the fortress against incoming infantry or artillery. Esplanade and promenade are sometimes used interchangeably, but that is a mistake. A promenade can be anywhere, and it is exclusively for walking, while an esplanade is for walking but also can include large boulevards or avenues with cars. A Promenade, often abbreviated to '(The) Prom', was an area where people - couples and families especially - would go to walk for a while in order to 'be seen' and be considered part of 'society'.

View Larger Map

Penang Explanade

But generally there are 3 definition for Explanade:
(i) Narrow Definition , the name of the road called Explanade Road
(ii) Broad Definition, the name of an area called The Explanade
(ii) Dictionary Definition, as per the meaning of the word

(i)Narrow definition: Jalan Explanade

The road sign of Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah was wrongly named as The Explanade by MPPP in 2009. The Explanade is a broader area than a single road. Historically, Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah was named in 1973, when the new road between Dewan Sri Pinang and the Food Court was built. The new road was connected to the old road from food court to Clock Tower, it was renamed Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, after the former Governor of Penang on 25-6-1973.

Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah can actually divided into 3 parts:

(i) From Dewan Sri Pinang to Jalan Kota Lama, with the bend at the food court. A new road constructed when Dewan Sri Pinang was built in 1973. It is west of the Duke street.

(ii) From Jalan Kota Lama(near City Hall/Cenotaph) T junction to the bend at Penang Yatch Club/Fort Cornwallis bend, an old coastal road facing the sea front. This is the actual Explanade, as it is facing the sea. It is west of the fort point.

(ii) From Penang Yatch Club/Fort Cornwallis bend to the Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower, the road is historically called Fort Road. It is an old road, and south of the fort point.Fort Rd was the eastern section of the road leading from the tip of the cape, Fort Point, to the Jubilee Clock Tower roundabout

The road is not Explanade Road as proved by the traffic map of 1947. However it is part of the broader definition of "The Explanade" area. The Explanade refer to the broader area, yet Explanade Road is narrow definition of only a road, which included in the broad definition of The Explanade. MPPP may be right to put English as The Esplanade, as the road is within The Explanade area, but it is not with the old English of "Explanade Road", which was another road. Then where is Explanade Road?

Where is Explanade Road?

The actual Explanade Road is Jalan Kota Lama, from Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah to Light Street. It is the place where City Hall and Town Hall are located, and beside the Padang(Padang Kota Lama).

(ii)Broader definition: "The Explanade"

The name "The Esplanade" is usually used collectively to denote the whole area that includes Padang Kota Lama, Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, City Hall, Fort Cornwallis, Clock Tower, Dewan Sri Pinang. The rectangular area bordered by the sea front , Light street,and Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah. Within the rectangle block are two smaller roads:

(i)Lebuh Duke(Duke Street),where it is located between the Dewan Sri Pinang and the rear portion of City Hall and Town Hall, the road start from Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, but has no end(not connected to Light Street). The street is name after Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, who visited and stayed here in 1869.

(ii)Jalan Padang Kota Lama,where the City Hall and Town Hall are located.It is connected between Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah and Light Street. The road lead directly to the Explanade(the coastal road facing the sea front). The Chinese called it "chau-por-hai-ki-lor" (草埔海墘路), which literally means Grass field shore front road where it is beside the criket field( called Padang, Padang Kota Lama or Explanade padang by the locals). This is the actual Explanade Road.

The broader definition may not be legally defined by any local law or officially named. It may be the collective name given by the old Penang people for identification of the area. The name given by the people.

(iii) Dictionary definition

"An esplanade is a long, open, level area, usually next to a river or large body of water, where people may walk. This allows people to promenade along the sea front, usually for recreational purposes, whatever the state of the tide, without having to walk on the beach". Original meaning it must be outside a fort or city wall. The area outside a fort and next to the sea, is the old road from Jalan Kota Lama(near City Hall/Cenotaph) T junction to the bend at Penang Yatch Club/Fort Cornwallis bend, an old coastal road facing the sea front. This is the actual Explanade, as it is facing the sea.

King Edward Place is not The Explanade

The Explanade is not at King Edward Place. This is the short road between the Clock Tower to Swetterham Pier, Penang Port Commission complex. It continued with Weld Quay along the coastal road. But now some map indicated it is the extension of Weld Quay to the clock tower?.....King Edward Place is the road where the pier of Port Swettenham(Swettenham Pier)and the office of the Penang Port Commission(PPC)are located. The warehouses there date to the early 20th century while the office buildings and arcade were built after the World War 2, after the earlier government buildings were destroyed in the war.

King Edward Place was named after King Edward VII of United Kingdom (and the British Dominions and Emperor of India), who reigned from 22 January 1901 until his death on 6 May 1910. King Edward Place was created at the early 20th century following the land reclamation that took place between 1880 and 1904 - before that, there was a government jetty at the end of Light Street. The old Resident Councillor's Office and Penang Secretariat was a U-shaped building facing King Edward Place, with wings along Beach St and Weld Quay and backing onto Downing St, until it was destroyed by Allied bombing during the World War 2. The only remaining wing of the building is now occupied by Penang Religious Affairs Department on Beach St.

Even though The Explanade is called (Old) government corner(旧关仔角) by Chinese,which indicated that the government buildings were nearby. It cannot be at King Edward Place, as the road is not fronting the sea, which is the criteria for an explanade; secondly it was a reclaimed land only after 1904. Prior to that , there was practically no land but sea.

The place cannot be The Explanade......

Fort Cornwallis(康华利堡), Penang

Fort Cornwallis is an old star-shaped fort located on the northeastern coast of Penang, Malaysia. It is named after the late 18th century Governor-General of Bengal, India, Charles Cornwallis, 1st Marquess Cornwallis. Fort Cornwallis is the largest standing fort in Malaysia.

Captain Sir Francis Light took possession of the island from the Sultan of Kedah in 1786 and built the original fort with a nibong (Malay: palm trunk) stockade with no permanent structures, covering an area of 417.6 square feet (38.80 m2).

In 1804, Indian convict labour rebuilt the fort with bricks and stones during Colonel R.T. Farquhar’s term as Governor of Penang. Fort Cornwallis was later completed in 1810 during Norman Macalister’s term as Governor of Penang at the cost of $80,000. The fort was intended as a defense against the pirates , Kedah, and the French because of the Napoleonic Wars. A moat 9 meters wide by 2 meters deep once surrounded the fort but it was filled in in the 1920s due to a malaria outbreak in the area.

The Chapel at Fort Cornwallis was built in 1799 on the southwest bastion. It is the earliest roofed structure surviving in Penang from the colonial era. The first recorded marriage here took place that same year when John Timmers married Martina Rozells, the widow of Francis Light.

Even though the fort was originally built for the Royal artillery troops and the military, its function, historically, was more administrative than defensive. For example, the judge of the Supreme Court of Penang, Sir Edmond Stanley, was first housed at Fort Cornwallis when the court opened on 31 May, 1808.

In its entire history, the fort had never engaged in any battle. Apart from being used for the British Royal artillery troops, the fort was once occupied by the Sikh Police of the Straits Settlements during the 1920s.

Old cannons decorate the fort. The largest cannon, known as Seri Rambai Cannon, was cast in 1603, and was a gift from the Dutch to the Sultan of Johore in 1606. In 1613, the Portuguese took possession of Seri Rambai. The cannon was taken to Java, where it stayed until 1795, when it was given to Acheh and brought to Kuala Selangor. The British seized the cannon and placed in in the fort in 1871.

The fort was gazetted on Sept 8, 1977, under the Antiquities Act 168/ 1976, as an Ancient Monument and Historic site. Today, it has become one of Penang's prime tourist attractions.

Esplanade and City Hall

Built in 1903 in an impressive Neo-classical style, the Old City Hall building portrays a fine example of admirable British colonial architecture still in existence in Georgetown, Penang. The design of the City Hall building bears a resemblance to the nearby Town Hall, which features the balcony as a main element overlooking the Esplanade. The building has been listed as a national monument since 1982 under the Antiquities Act 1976.

The majestic City Hall is the jewel in the Municipal Council’s crown. The Council Chamber, where the 24 Municipal Councillors regularly convene, is located on the ground floor. The small monument you see on the Esplanade is the Cenotaph, a memorial to victims of World War 1.

Open hours:
8.00am – 4.15pm (Monday – Friday)
8.00am – 12.45pm (Saturday)

Address: Jalan Padang Kota Lama, 10200 Penang, Malaysia.

Padang Kota Lama/Padang Explanade/Padang

Padang Kota Lama, or simply called The Padang, is the parade ground and playing field created by the British colonials in the civic district of George Town. It is bordered by Fort Cornwallis on one side, Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, Jalan Padang Kota Lama and Light Street. The name "The Esplanade" is usually used collectively to denote the whole area that includes Padang Kota Lama and Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, although historically The Esplanade refers only to Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, between the bend in the road (called Fort Point) and where the road ends, near Cenotaph.

Padang Kota Lama is located in one of the oldest section of George Town and was among the earliest part of town to be cleared. When Francis Light landed at the cape in 1786, he found that this part of the island was uninhabited (there were small Malay and Acehnese riverine settlements along Sungai Pinang) and densely forested. The land was flat but overgrown with hardwood trees such as the Penaga Laut (ironwood). The northern shore was sandy while the eastern shore was covered with mangrove swamp. Light was said to have blasted silver coins into the forest to induce the workers to clear the land. These coins would have landed in the area where Padang Kota Lama is located today.

There were several structures on Padang Kota Lama that has since been destroyed or dismantled. The clubhouse buildings, the Penang Sports Club (Cricket Section) and the Penang Recreation Club were located on the Padang - an arrangement that is similar to what we can see in Singapore's Padang today. Also located on Padang Kota Lama is the Vermont Memorial, a cost iron pavilion for the public, as well as the Municipal Band Stand, a pavilion for public entertainment and ceremonies. Most of these were destroyed during the Second World War and never rebuilt.

Fort Cornwallis was built in 1786 as a simple fort of nibong palms. It was rebuilt in bricks in 1793, and again in 1810. What we see of it dates from the 1810 renovation, with little change thereafter. On the south side of Padang Kota Lama is Light Street, the oldest street of George Town, and built to be a stately thoroughfare for the new British settlement. Across from it was the Police Courts, now the State Assembly Building (Dewan Undangan Negeri), dating from the early 19th century. On the western side of Padang Kota Lama is Town Hall and City Hall, built in 1880 and 1900 respectively. On the seaward side of Padang Kota Lama is a coastal road called The Explanade, which dates to the late 19th century (before that, it was just sandy shore). The Esplanade is now part of Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah. On a protrusion opposite Jalan Padang Kota Lama is the Cenotaph, dating to after the Second World War.

Although the British is no more the administrators in Penang, their legacy lives on in the sights all around Padang Kota Lama.

(source: Extract from

So just a small mistake; but thankful for the Penanglang who highlight the mistake, otherwise the younger generation will be misled.

Ku Kuan nga kak, Penang-lang ai hor hor cheow kor(Penang people, let us take proper care of our heritage,The Explanade)

Batu Kawan(峇都交灣)

Batu Kawan 峇都交灣(is in Seberang Perai Selatan, the site for the third township to be planned in Penang, after Bayan Baru and Seberang Jaya. The masterplan for Batu Kawan covers 2887 acres. Prior to the impending development, the Batu Kawan area is a sleepy fishing hamlet most famous for its seafood. The village of Batu Kawan is located by the banks of Sungai Jawi. Food enthusiasts come all the way from Penang Island to enjoy the seafood of Batu Kawan and nearby Bukit Tambun.

View Larger Map

Batu Kawan New Stadium

In the year 2000, the new RM105mil sports stadium. Penang State Stadium or Stadium Negeri Pulau Pinang was completed in Batu Kawan.

2nd Penang Bridge

Batu Kawan is the site for the mainland end of the Second Penang Bridge. This particular development will certainly spearhead growth in this area, elevating the price of land and property. The RM2.8bil second Penang bridge would link up Batu Kawan on the mainland to Batu Maung on Penang island.

Ferry to Bukit Aman

One can take ferries from Batu Kawan to Pulau Aman(阿曼島). The jetty is located at a place called Bagan, just across from Batu Kawan.


Batu Kawan Seafood

20-odd seafood restaurants are around Batu Kawan

1. Ah Ean's Seafood(阿燕海鲜)
Phone: 604-587 2616

2. Batu Kawan Seafood.
Address: 595 Batu Kawan, Simpang Ampat, 14100 S.P.S. Pulau Pinang.
Open: 3pm-11pm. Close: Wednesdays. Contact Person: Ms Chew Seok Ching .

3. Long House Seafood Restaurant
Jalan Batu Kawan, Bukit Tambun,
14110 Simpang Ampat, S.P.S. Penang,
Tel : 04-5880252
Mobile : 0124898864 / 0174898864
Please read food blog:

Bukit Tambun武吉淡汶

Bukit Tambun (武吉淡汶)

View Larger Map

Bukit Tambun (武吉淡汶)is a town located at the south of the mainland of Penang.

It is famous for its seafood restaurants, offering a variety of seafood delicacies at attractive prices. It is also located near to the Batu Kawan sports stadium.

Bukit Tambun is a riverine community in Seberang Perai Selatan. It is located along the banks of Sungai Jawi. So far, it exists as a fishing village populated mostly by Chinese. Because of its proximity to the sea, Bukit Tambun gets fresh seafood. As a result, a number of seafood restaurants have opened in this village, drawing customers from both Penang Stadium and Penang Island.

華人在威省開拓甘蔗園坵,應該早在1800年之前,當時都是小規模種植,這個小格局維持了至少20年,而開發地區也集中在中部武吉淡汶(Bukit Tambun)往南到峇都交灣島(Batu Kawan)一帶。(峇都交灣是個大島,當年威省沿海地帶深入內陸數里地都是紅樹林沼澤地,後來環抱該島三邊的河道淤淺以至填平,島接連陸地而失其特徵,今人只知當年同名村落發展出來的鄉鎮。)歐洲人要遲至1840年後才在威省種植甘蔗,而在這30多年裡,威省甘蔗業主要靠華人獨立經營,當地人口也隨園坵業和榨糖業的發展而增加,1820年華人總數只有325人,到1833年已激增至2千259人。

Bukit Tambun Toll Interchange & Plaza
Bukit Tambun Interchange is a major interchange of the North-South Expressway Southern Route in Malaysia. It is also a main route to Batu Kawan and Batu Kawan Sports Complex.
From KL/Ipoh, you will reach the interchange before the toll. Route 149 west to Batu Kawan, east to Simpang Empat.

Bukit Tambun Seafood(武吉淡汶海鮮)

The area called Bagan, Bukit Tambun is famous for seafood, it is not one restaurant, but many restaurants. It is situated in Bukit Tambun and easily assessable from the North-South Highway to Ipoh, a 30-minute drive from Penang Island to Ipoh. Upon reaching Bukit Tambun, you will go through a small road and reach the end of the road. This is where all the restaurants are, popular like Prawn village and Fish Village.

The seafood is cheap and fresh because the area is near the sea and river. The place will be crowded, especially on the weekends and holidays, with locals and foreigners alike. Do try the crabs, prawns, fish, oysters, and seashells.

But dun ask me which restaurant is the best,each has their specialty and restaurant environment and services, which may affect your taste is your taste.

1. 蝦村海鮮樓(Prawn Village)

地址:672,Bagan Bukit Tambun,14100,Simpang Ampat,S.P.S.

聯絡電話:04-5880541 / 04-5872206

Served big

2. 佳乡海鲜蟹皇饭Cia Xiang Seafood Restaurant
营业时间:11.30am - 2.30pm、5pm - 10.30pm(周三休息)
电话:012 - 4345338 / 016 - 5041815
地址:1663, Jln Paboi, Pathau, Bkt Tambun, 14100 Simpang Empat, S.P.S, P.Pinang.

3. Restoran Makanan Laut Gee Seng
860, Bagan Bukit Tambun,
14100 Simpang Ampat,
Tel: 04-588 7200
GPS: 5.271221, 100.443385
- may have annoying flies as one food blogger commented; but preferred by some food blogers mainly being cheap or reasonable price.

( refer,

4. Howkee seafood restaurant 045882736
5. 义成海鲜Yi Seng Seafood Restauran
6, Jin Mah Seafood Restaurant 金马海鲜饭店
7. Makanan Laut Jeti
8. Restoran Choon Hiang, Seafood
9. Mantis Shrimp Village Seafood Restaurant
10.Floating Seafood Paradise Restaurant
Jalan Batu Kawan 3, Bukit Tambun, Seberang Perai
Reservations: 04-588 3063

Getting there: Exit the North-South Expressway (E1) at the Bukit Tambun Interchange (Exit 158) and head in the direction of Bukit Tambun.

Tambun Biscuit淡汶饼


Khaw BOO AUN 许武安(1837— 1906

许武安(1837— 1906)字佑光,1837(道光十七年丁酉)诞生於槟城,祖籍广东潮州府潮安(旧名海阳)县宏安宰(横陇乡)。父佬合公,十九世纪初年从唐山过番到峇株卡旺(Batu Kawan 按,属成省)当劳工,由於他工作勤劳,不屈不挠,再加上天资聪慧,不久即升任为甘蔗园的工头。后来他成家立业,私自购买一片园地。不久,育二男一女,长郎武安、幼郎武科、独生女美玉。嗣栳合公到霹雳州吉辇(Krian)寻找新大地。他首先向政府申请一千英亩的森林地,然后以他本身对农业所具有的经验和知识,开发芭地,种植甘蔗和烟草。此项事业获得成功后,他便在高渊创设“高兴号”,经营大生意。这期间他得到武安的大力协助,而武安就在这种艰苦情况下获得有益的训练。1866年栳合公告老退休,移居武吉淡汶(Bukit Tambun),他在大街26,Main Street 建造大厝。几年后,他在武科陪同,回返中国,消渡残年。他在告老归乡前,把全部财产交给武安看管,同时留下一句话:“经商营业,务须诚实,贫富人家,一律善侍”。在槟期间,栳合公历任韩江家庙发起人兼首任领导人。


精力充沛的武安照顾父亲的园地,业务蒸蒸日上,不久他自己在特朗斯吉连(Trans Krian)区购得两千英亩荒地,种植甘蔗和烟草。武安除了是霹雳州和成士利省的一个华人工业巨子以外,还在高渊创设一个侨生华人俱乐部,名叫“丰和”,他连续多年成为该俱乐部的主要人物。在官场中,他被视为义兴三合会中潮州帮的一个富有影响力的首领,其根据地在威士利省和霹雳州,依照他呈交海峡殖民地警察总长布伦克(C. B. Blinect)的《华人陈诉书》(Chinese Paper)中的自述,他是义兴堂的一个先生或秘书,在1872年发生的会党械斗中,曾经积极将供应品按期运到拿律去。根据温士德和魏金逊的记述,1873年2月到8月当拿律械斗蔓延到吉连河时,有一群流动的“歹徒”,飞扬著红底白边的旗帜,自称为 “许武安之人员”。毕麒麟(Pickering)向政府提呈的一份正式报告书中,亦指出许武安为一名具有影响力的领袖。

1886年10月 7日他被委任为霹雳州议会议员,由於他当时和甲必丹郑亚贵与甲必丹陈亚炎同为议员,故亦受封甲必丹名誉头衔,1890年3月,槟榔屿华人谘询局成立时,政府为了感激他的贡献,特别委任池为该局的创立委员,一直服务到1904年为止。1905年英国政府赐封他为槟榔屿太平局绅。不幸他享受这荣誉并不长久,几个月後(按:1906年1月8日),他在武吉淡汶地方父亲所建造的宅第中辞世长眠。为实现他生前的愿望,他的灵柩保留三年后,运往唐山深浦山杜鹊坟安葬。数年後,他的甘蔗园和烟草园亦变卖给欧人公司。

许武安不仅是韩江家庙的领导人,嗣被派到广汀公冢,充任十四大董理之一。1886年创建平章公馆时,他也是董事人之一。1882年1898 — 1900年协理嗣任总理至1891年。高渊高兴宫为首的十四董事人。


武安在高渊谐街(Hight Street)留下一座家族住宅,在这住宅附近有条武安巷,位在吉辇河畔,是一条短街,用以纪念这位伟大的先驱者。这条巷的所在地正是当年义兴党载满人马与供应品的船只秘密开往拿律作战的出发站。这也许是一种很有意义的偶合吧。


22-8-2003 12:39 AM

Kepala Batas(甲拋峇底)

Sungei Dua, on the way to Lunas

A typical Malay house

View Larger Map

Kepala Batas(甲拋峇底)
Kepala Batas is a town in the northern part of Penang, Malaysia, in Seberang Perai Utara(SPU) district. The district capital has moved from Butterworth to Bertam, Kepala Batas on 7-10-1996. This is the largest of the 5 districts for Penang state. The Member of Parliament for Kepala Batas is the former Prime Minister of Malaysia, Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, as this is his hometown. In the recent general election held on 8 March 2008, Abdullah won the seat with a majority of 11,232 votes.Under the Parliament , there are 3 state seats, Penaga, Bertam, and Pinang Tunggal.

The town of Kepala Batas was carefully named in 1786 after the two words; Kepala and Batas. The word Kepala is loosely used as a local dialect to describe someone or something important. While the word Batas, is also a local dialect used to describe a road or a junction. That being said, Kepala Batas simply means the Primary Road.

The town was originally made up of only 4 humble stores which was build by a local chatty. The first two businessmen there were Tuan Haji Ismail and Tuan Haji Ishak trading mostly coffee, fruits, vegetables and fish.

With approximately 200 town folks, Kepala Batas started to flourish with the opening of the Bertam estate. The need for workers increased its population dramatically and with the opening of the first school in 1924, the simple town was set to be transformed into one of the main education and business hub.

Syeikh Abdullah Fahim(1870-1961)

Syeikh Abdullah Fahim is a Malaysian nationalist and religious scholar. He was Penang's first mufti after Independence. He is also the paternal grandfather of former Prime Minister of Malaysia, Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

Abdullah Fahim known as “Pak Him” was born in Mecca, Saudi Arabia in 1869. He was a respected Islamic scholar and had set up and ran many religious schools, also known as madrasah or sekolah pondok. He was the mudir or director of Madrasah Idrisiah in Kuala Kangsar. He also started a madrasah in Kepala Batas, Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi's current hometown. This was around the time he became Penang's first mufti.

He was one of the key people who started Hisbul Muslimin, which later became known as Parti Islam Se-Malaysia or PAS, one of the main opposition parties in Malaysia which fights for an Islamist agenda. He was the first Ketua Dewan Ulama(Head of Ulama Council) of PAS. Ironically both his son and grandson became leaders in UMNO(the main Malay component party of ruling alliance, Barisan National), the sworn enemy of PAS.

Recently, on 12 February 2008, Abdullah Ahmad Badawi launched Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia's newly set-up Islam Hadhari Institute's first Chair, which was named after Abdullah Fahim.

He is the one who established the Sekolah Agama Daeratul Maarif Al- Wataniah (DMW)in Kepala Batas and the locals also refer to him as Tok Ngah Lah.

Abdullah Fahim was the man who decided the Independence date(31-8-1957) for Malaysia

A residential area, Taman Abdullah Fahim,Jalan Maju, Kepala Batas & A Complex, Kompleks Dato Abdullah Fahim, Jalan Bertam, Kepala Batas; were named after him.

Dato Haji Ahmad Badawi Abdullah Fahim(died in 1977)

Father of Tun Abdullah Badawi, he was a prominent religious figure and UMNO member. After settling in Penang in his teens, he went back to the Middle East to pursue religious studies. The MP of Kepala Batas, and state assembly man(Adun) from 1972-1977. He rose to become the most senior Umno member in the Gerakan-led Penang state executive council in the 1970s.He was the Exco in 1972 in charge of Islamic affairs, under Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu's leadership as Chief Minister. He has also being acting Chief Minister when Dr Lim was on leave or abroad. His rank was equivalent to a de facto deputy chief minister.

Dato Haji Ahmad Badawi passed away in 1977

There is a road, Jalan Datuk Hj Ahmad Badawi, Kepala Batas, named after him, located between T junction with Jalan Kampong Baru (Route 1) to P205

SMK Datuk Hj Ahmad Badawi - Kepala Batas was formerly SMK Kepala Batas, but it was renamed after Hj Ahmad Badawi in 1978. It is located at Jalan Datuk Hj Ahmad Badawi. SM Datuk Haji Ahmad Badawi, Kepala Batas also named after him.

Dewan Dato Haji Ahmad Badawi is a community hall of the Majlis Perbandaran Seberang Perai Seberang Perai Municipal Council). It was named after the late father of the former Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, who declared it open at a ceremony on 31 July, 2007. The multi-purpose hall is located along Jalan Bagan Luar. It faces an open field called Padang Pemuda Merdeka, near the junction with Jalan Heng Choon Thian, Butterworth.

Tun Abdullah Badawi

Tun Abdullah Badawi is the 5th Prime Minister(2003-2009)of Malaysia.

Abdullah Badawi was born in Kampung Perlis, Bayan Lepas, Penang to a prominent religious family. Badawi's paternal grandfather, Syeikh Abdullah Badawi Fahim, was of Arab descent. Syeikh Abdullah was a well-respected religious leader and nationalist, was one of the founding members of Hizbul Muslimin, later known as PAS. After independence, Syeikh Abdullah became the first mufti of Penang.

His father, Ahmad Badawi, was a prominent religious figure and UMNO member, his mother Hajah Khailan binti Hassan . His maternal grandfather, Ha Su-chiang (also known as Hassan), was a Chinese Muslim who came from Sanya in Hainan.

Abdullah Badawi is a former student of Bukit Mertajam High School, and Methodist Boy's School. Badawi obtained his Bachelor of Arts in Islamic Studies from the University of Malaya in 1964. He first joined the civil service, but joined politic after his father passed away in 1977, taking over as Chairman of Kepala Batas division and won the election as MP in Kepala Batas. He was appointed as Ministers, and finally become the 5th Prime Minister of Malaysia.

Tun Dato' Seri Utama (Dr.)Haji Abdul Rahman bin Haji Abbas
His Excellency Tun Dato' Seri Utama (Dr.) Haji Abdul Rahman bin Haji Abbas, the Governor of Penang was born on Friday 15th April 1938 at Permatang Rambai, Kepala Batas, Penang to a couple named Haji Abbas bin Haji Abdul Rahman and Hajjah Jamilah binti Ubaid.

The Malay village where the house of Abdullah Badawi is located

One of the village road

The gate entrance to the school

The front view of the school; the road lead to the entrance of the residence of Tun Abdullah,which is at the end

Sekolah Menengah Agama Daeratul Maarifil Wataniah, Jalan Perak, Kepala Batas. The religion school was found by the grandfather of Tun Abdullah Badawi, Syeikh Abdullah Fahim.

The entrance of the religion school

The service office of Tun Abdullah as MP of Kapala Batas Parliament seat

The private residence of Tun Abdullah and family

The front view of the UMNO Kepala Batas Division building

The Malaysia national flag is higher up, than the party flags

The UMNO flags

The poster of former Prime Minister, Tun Abdullah who was the MP of Kepala Batas

Pusat Khidmat aduan Bertam, located at the UMNO Kepala Batas Division office, Jalan Perak. Directly opposite Majid Al-jamiul Badawi.

Masjid Al-jamiul Badawi, located at Jalan Perak

The street view of Jalan Perak(Perak Road)

The street signage of Jalan Perak

Jalan Perak, background is the mosque

Jalan Butterworth

The corner sundry shop at the entrance of Jalan Kubang Menderung

Jalan Kubang Menderung

Jalan Perak

Street view

The side view and its window. The roof corner is typical Chineses style.

The pillars at the entrance

Palaniandy Villa

The Truth Baptist Church,Kepala Batas

The entrance to the church

The dilapidated building , near Jalan Kompong Baru and Jalan Perak T junction

Welcome sign to Kepala Batas, in front of the Jalan Perak junction

One of the Kampong house with garden

The pre-war colonial shop

The upper floor is wooden

The roof tiles, and the low colonial double storey shops along Jalan Perak

The double storey shops

Street view

The corner shop at the junction

Jalan Perak

The entrance to Kepala Batas from toll

Kuala Muda river and lake

Related articles:

1. Abdullah Fahim: The man who decided the Independence date, by Zuraida Abdul Rahman, Bernama dated 29-7-2007,
2. Robust Development For Penang During Abdullah's Term, by Muna Khalid, Bernama dated 3-4-2009,
3. Abdullah’s boon to Kepala Batas folk, The Star online, dated 3-4-2009,
4. Abdullah from strong `political' lineage, Malay Mail dated 9-3-2004,