Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chung Hwa Confucian School

Penang Chung Hwa Confusian School or SMJK Chung Hwa Confucian, Pulau Pinang may not be as famous as the premier schools like Chung Ling High School, Penang Free School etc. It was not the first choice school for most parents in Penang, but recently the school make news. The students from the school did well and come up top in National Mathematical Olympiad competition. Some of the students will represent Malaysia for the Asia Pacific level.

Remember these names, they will be the Penang talents for the future.



SMJK Chung Hwa Confucian, Pulau Pinang
Chan Jin Hao 960507075123
Chan Ruey Terng 960725075279
Lim Jian Liang 960426086875
Yeoh Zi Liang 960331075081

Lim Yun Kai 960922075307 SMJK Chung Hwa Confucian, Pulau Pinang



SMJK Chung Hwa Confucian, Pulau Pinang
Andy Tan Wei Keat 940708075439
Ho Yi Hang 950524075433
Tan Chee Soon 941121075821
Teh Jun Yong 941016075125



SMJK Chung Hwa Confucian, Pulau Pinang
Cheah Tian Phern 930804075341
Khaw Kok Liang 911115075545
Ooi Tze Hoong 910822075005
Yeoh Hong Boon 910103075519

Tan Peng Kiat 910114075557 SMJK Chung Hwa Confucian, Pulau Pinang

History of SMJK Chung Hwa Confucian, Pulau Pinang(or 孔圣庙中华中学)

The school was founded in 1904 and it is the first school in Southeast Asia to have used Mandarin as a medium of teaching students. It is also the only Chinese school outside of China to be accredited by the Qing Dynasty, which presented it to Mr. Cheong Fatt Tze. He was the founder of this school. Cheong Fatt Tze led a team of Qing Dynasty officers in their mission to construct the Chung Hwa Confucian School. They raised a big sum of money and founded the school.

In the early years, Chung Hwa Confucian School was sited in the Ping Zheng Association (now known as the Penang Chinese Town Hall that was located in Jalan Masjid Kaptian Keling (who used to be Pitt Street). In 1908, the school moved to Maxwell Road (currently the site of Komtar Tower in George Town. In 1912, The Confucius Temple donated a huge sum of money to the school. They also pledged to help manage the school's administration. Since then, the name "Confucian" was used in the school name. In 1913, the Board of Directors was founded and the first sports day was held. This is a significant achievement.

In 1924, Chung Hwa Confucian School set up lower secondary classes. In 1941, during the World War II when the Japanese occupied Malaya, the school was used as a centre of teaching the Japanese language. On 7 May 1956, the school tried to set up a secondary school but failed because it was rejected by the then Education Ministry. In 1958, Chung Hwa Confucian School received financial help from the Education Ministry of the Federation of Malaya and at that time, the school was split into 2 schools, namely Chung Hwa Confucian Primary School and Chung Hwa Confucian High School.

In 1970, the current building that was occupied by both Chung Hwa Confucian schools was overcrowded and therefore, a fund-raising drive was set to raise money to buy a piece of land for the new building. Within a few weeks, the funds were collected and the school's Board of Directors bought a piece of land in Green Lane. Construction immediately began. In 1971, Chung Hwa Confucian High School's four-storey new building was completed. In 1972, the whole school shifted to the current site which is located within Pesiaran Tembaga and Tingkat Tembaga. The primary school was still continued on at Maxwell Road (now Jalan Dr. Lim Chwee Leong).

In 1973, the first batch of students sat for the MCE examinations. As of now, SMJK Chung Hwa Confucian is a modern, advanced and fully equipped school. In 1975, Chung Hwa Confucian Primary School was split into two schools, which are SJK(C) Chung Hwa Confucian A and B. In 1976, The Science and Technology Building of SMJK Chung Hwa Confucian was completed. In 1980, the state government claimed the land in Maxwell Road for the construction of Komtar Tower. Therefore, both Chung Hwa Confucian Primary Schools have to be moved to Jalan Ibbetson, which is beside the Penang State Mosque.

In 1985, an extra building with nine classrooms and a library was completed. And in 1994, the new building with 12 classrooms and two science labs was completed in the school in conjunction with its 90th anniversary. In the 1990s, the enrolment of SMJK Chung Hwa Confucian was decreasing. So, the Board of Directors decided to change the school to a co-ed school. Previously, the school only accepted boys. At the same year, Form 6 classes were also established. Students now can continue their pre-university studies there and no need to be transferred to Penang Free School again.(source: wikipedia)

Like their school band, one day Chung Hwa Confucian School will stand tall like other schools, provided we Penang lang give them the support. Heng Ee Secondary School had done well all these years, Chung Hwa Confucian School can be equally well one day, and the parents will not be blindly following the trends of enrolling their children to reputable schools only, Chung Hwa Confucian School can be an alternative to Chung Ling, Heng Ee, PFS....

Chung Hwa boleh....

1 comment:

  1. This is really good.
    I was a part of Chung Hwa, and is glad to have been.
    Thank you.