View Larger Map
Green Lane(青草巷), or Jalan Masjid Negeri(州清真寺路)as it is called today, is one of the major roads leading out of George Town from Jalan Air Itam, starting from the crossroad junction of Scotland Road(苏格兰路), Air Itam Road(亞也依淡路), passes Glugor Roundabout, continue until it connects with Jalan Tunku Kudin(东姑古汀路). Part of the Green Lane is under Gelugor area. The local Chinese called it Chhen-chhaú-hāng(青草巷), which means green grass lane. But today Green Lane is no longer green…….the residential area has become a commercial area, especially along Jalan Masjid Negeri, mainly with second car dealers. You cannot recognized that is was once a popular middle class residential area in Penang…..
Green Lane , broadly speaking is George Town’s suburb area, part of Gelugor. Narrow definition, it is the areas around Green Lane or Jalan Masjid Negeri.
History of Green lane
Wat Pinbang-Onn ( วัดปิ่นบังอร) was at Green Lane(may not be the name) in 1889, when the area is still a farming area. It is the earliest establishment in early Green Lane.
In the early 1920s, Green Lane was a small lane within a rather small farming community. Opposite Wat Pinbang Onn was a coconut estate, where Lam Wah Hospital now stand.
The most important landmark on that lane was, and still is, the Penang Free School, built by Anglican Church. Wat Nai and Wat Pinbang-Onn have also established themselves in the Green Lane area.
1951- The Straits Times, 23 June 1951, Page 8 - Penang will build 93 houses From Our Stall Correspondent PENANG. Fri. "NINETY-THREE houses will be built by the Penang Municipality and put up for sale. The houses will go up in Green Estate, bounded by Green Lane and Jalan Husein. Penang Municipal Commissioners have, however, not yet decided when to start building or how many houses to put up first, said the Deputy President, Mr SV Adams......
Green Lane was still a quiet country lane in the 1950's, when the land in Green Lane was being developed into one of the earliest suburbs of George Town. The development of Green Lane was carried out in phases. In the 1950's, the government quarters around Cheeseman Road(奇斯曼路)was developed. Within this area are roads such as Taylor Road(泰勒路), Jalan Sir Hussein (named after Sir Dr. Hussein Hasanally Abdoolcader, a noted Penang lawyer, admitted to Registry of Supreme Court on 1-11-1912; Member of Legislative Council Strait Settlement from 25-7-1940 for one year, the first Indian in Malaya to receive the British Knighthood as reported in The Straits Times, 2 January 1948, Page 1 ), Lengkok Ariff(named after Abdullah Ariff), Jalan Kennedy, Jalan Philips.
Cheeseman Road is named after Harold Ambrose Robinson CHEESEMAN, CMG, Esq., who was teachers of PFS for 15 years(1907-1923), Inspector of Schools Penang(1923-1928), superintendent of education in Johore(1928-?), Deputy Director of Education before the war(1941--1942)(later Colonial Education Service), Director of Education, Malayan Union, and former POW Camp internee at Changi, Singapore during Japanese occupation(1942-1945). Mr. Cheeseman assumed duty as an assistant master at the Penang Free School in 1907. In 1923 he became inspector of schools in Penang, and five years later superintendent of education in Johore. Just before the war he was promoted to be Deputy Director of Education... HR Cheeseman, Director of Education in the Federation of Malaya, has just retired from the service at the age of sixty. 1959- Cheeseman, HR, CMG, 6 Cannon Road, Ramsgate, Kent, UK.
On the Penang Free School side of Green Lane are also new roads. These were named after the school itself (Free School Road) as well as some of its headmasters from the turn of the 20th century, including Hamilton Road (after W. Hamilton, 1925-26), Pinhorn Road (R.H. Pinhorn, 1904-1925), Hargreaves Road (W. Hargreaves, 1891-1904) and Hutchings Garden, after the founder of the school, Rev. Sparke Hutchings.
During that time, Church of the Holy Spirit (now Cathedral of the Holy Spirit) established to cater for the Catholic community staying in the area. Convent Green Lane, was also established by the Catholic church.
The land south of Hamilton Road was occupied by the Green Lane Convent as well as Thai Buddhist temples. The housing estate developed behind them all had the word "Hijau" to it. These are some of the earliest roads with numbers in their names in Penang.
In the 1960s, Green Lane evolved from a farming community into several housing estates. Various developers changed the landscape from sleepy farming areas such as Guan Joo Seng and Island and Peninsular Berhad into a new suburb. A new landmark the Holy Spirit Cathedral was already established together with the Guan Joo Seng Estate in the late 50s - now known as Taman Besi. Around the Church of the Holy Spirit was developed Island Park in the 1960's. The roads here were named after metal, namely Mas (for emas, gold), Besi (iron), Tembaga (brass) and Gangsa (bronze). Green Lane now grew from a little lane to a full road.
The early Green Lane had formed……..
With the introduction of the industrial estate at Bayan Lepas, Green Lane became the trunk road connecting Georgetown with the south i.e. Gelugor and Bayan Lepas. Green Lane grew from a single lane to a triple lane road today. It is also one of the busiest roads in Penang.
Penang's first suburbs for the local middle- class were created in the 1960s at Green Lane, a new landmark the Holy Spirit Cathedral was established together with the Guan Joo Seng Estate - now known as Taman Besi. The suburbs have since been extended to Island Glades developed by Island and Peninsular Berhad, it was at the time an estate. Island Glades, later renamed Taman Mutiara. The roads here are all named Delima (ruby). In between Island Glades and Island Park came a later development, Taman Greenview, in the late 1970's.
Green Lane was renamed Jalan Masjid Negeri(State Mosque Road) in the late 1970's, upon the completion of the Penang State Mosque. However the local residents still prefer the old name of Green Lane as it is shorter and easy to call. The name Green Lane however continues to live on, with its icon landmark Convent Green Lane still remind the people that the road was once called Green Lane……...
The road passes through a few major housing estates e.g. Taman Besi, Island Glades and Island Park.
Across Green Lane from Island Glades is the housing development of Batu Lanchang. The Lam Wah Ee Hospital was moved here in the late 1970's. The roads in the suburb bordered by Lebuhraya Gelugor, Lebuhraya Batu Lanchang and Green Lane have their names derived from amalgamating the names of the neighbouring areas. Hence we get names such as Batu Green (Batu Lanchang + Green Lane) and Gelugor Green (Gelugor + Green Lane). Taman Gelugur, Taman Ghee Hiang(Ghee Hiang Hooi) was developed by the famous Ghee Hiang, the famous biscuit (tau sar pneah) & sesame seeds oil manufacturer in Penang.
Jalan Masjid Negeri(Green Lane) today
Green Lane ends at the Udini Roundabout, which is today served by a flyover as well as an underpass. This roundabout marks the traditional city limit of George Town until the 1970's, when the metropolitan area expands and spills south, reach as far as Teluk Kumbar by the turn of the 21st century.
Today , Green Lane is one of the busiest thoroughfares in George Town . Green Lane refers to the environs surrounding Jalan Mesjid Negeri. Important landmarks apart from the aforesaid are the McDonalds drive-in, Penang Free School, Cathedral of the Holy Spirit , Convent Green Lane, The Trinity Methodist Church ,Chung Hwa Confucian High School, Tropicana Medical Centre, Lam Wah Ee Hospital, Tesco Jelutong and YWCA.
Despite the fact that from 1960s to 1980s, five bus companies served the island ( including one run by the MPPP, the Penang City Council), yet public transport service to Green Lane was limited, and it was difficult for people who have no private transport. The City council MPPP bus served the area. Bus No 11 and Bus 8. Bus 11 served the route between Air Itam and Jelutong, from Air Itam Market , passing Air Itam Road, Green Lane and turn left to Batu Lanchang Road(now known as Teh Ewe Lim Road), and stopped at Bukit Dumbar station, Jelutong. Bus No. 8 was from Botanical Garden to Glugor Roundabout. The only Yellow bus serving the area was No 77, which started from Maxwell Road station, running along Julutong Road, and turn to Batu Lanchang Road at the junction near Julutong police station, turning to Green Lane, Yeap Chor Ee Road, until Kampong Kastam.(Note : Based on memory, Bus number may be wrong). So at the time, if you do not have own transport, it was difficult to go to Green Lane, a middle class suburb where most of them owned cars.
Today, Rapid served the area.Visitors to Green Lane can take the 103 Rapid Penang bus which plies Batu Ferringhi and the Bayan Lepas International Airport or the 206 which plies Komtar and Tesco, Jelutong.
1889 - Wat Pinbang-Onn(วัดปิ่นบังอร)
Wat Pinbang-Onn is a small Thai Buddhist temple along Green Lane (Jalan Masjid Negeri) in Penang. Actually there are two temples sharing this name, the Inner Sanctuary Temple วัดปิ่นบังอร(ใน) at 355 Jalan Masjid Negeri, and the Outer Sanctuary Temple, วัดปิ่นบังอร(นอก), at 379 Jalan Masjid Negeri.
Though the wat had existed since 1889, yet it was only in 1934 that the name 'Wat Pin Bang Onn' was officially given to the temple by Prince Swasdi,( Prince Svasti Sobhon) a son of King Chulalongkorn of Thailand. Until then, it was simply called Wat Nok or 'Outer Temple, to differentiate with Wat Nai or Inner Temple next door. Prince Swasdi died in 1935 in Penang and his remains were cremated in a special pavilion in front of the bot. Present at the funeral was AM Goodman, the Resident Councillor of Penang who came on behalf of the British ...
1928 Penang Free School
On December 31st, 1927 the Penang Free School moved to a new site at Green Lane on Jalan Masjid Negeri in 1928 from its original premises on Farquhar Street(华盖街).
1930- The Straits Times, 9 January 1930- Junior Service Association in Green Lane, almost opposite the Free School. ... PENANG JUNIOR CIVIL SERVICE ASSN. (From Our Own Correspondent). Penang. June 9. THAT there was a big Increase In membership following removal of the club's premises from Green Lane to Dato Kramat Road, opposite the Dato Kramat Gardens and playing fields, last year, is stated in the report of the Junior Civil Service Association Penang , to be presented at the AGM to be held on June 17th, 5 p.m.( The Straits Times, 11 June 1939, Page 5)
1941-1945 During Japanese occupation, many town folks escaped to Green Lane. A training school for The Indian National Army, called the Swaraj Institute set up for training agents who were to be sent into India for espionage and propaganda work. It operated at the site of the Penang Free School on Green Lane.
1957- The Trinity Methodist Church
Trinity Methodist Church Penang, located in Georgetown in the state of Penang is a member of the Trinity Annual Conference (TRAC) of the Methodist Church in Malaysia. It is one of the two English-speaking Methodist churches on the island, situated along Jalan Masjid Negeri. It is located just opposite the Green Lane McDonald's. The Trinity Methodist Church was started in 1957. Over the years, the church has expanded a few times, added new wings for its kindergarten, now called Tadika Trinity Methodist. There are three services held on Sundays, at 9:00 am, 11:00 am and 5:00 pm.
1958 Church of the Holy Spirit
The Catholics who had dispersed into the suburbs of Georgetown during the Japanese occupation (1941-1945) remained put after the war. Meanwhile, new townships and large housings estates began sprouting in the suburbs from Green Lane to the airport. In 1958, when Fr. Surmon MEP returned from his leave in Europe, he was informed by the then Bishop of Penang, the late Rt. Rev. Francis Chan, to establish a new Catholic community in Green Lane area in Penang. Fr. Surmon who was entrusted with this task , took up residence at Little Sisters of the Poor and started gathering his flock of mix races, which numbered 1000.This community was known ‘parish without church’.
They celebrated mass on Sundays and feast days for 10 years at the canteen of the Green Lane Convent. After 10 years of hard work of collecting funds and discussing plans for a new church with the help of some advisors such as Mr. Gerry Reutens, and later of an building committee (1966 – 1973), a piece of land was bought some distance of the main thoroughfare; another piece was added on with the help of Rt. Rev Mother Tarcisius of the IJ Sisters and it was used as a play field and a car park. At the beginning it was decided that the new church would be dedicated to St. Bernadette since that year (1958) was the centenary of Our Ladys’ apparition to Bernadette in Lourdes in 1858. Later on the Vatican II and around 1962, the late Bishop Francis Chan was agreeable to the suggestion that the name to be changed to the Church of Holy Spirit.
The Oldest YWCA in Malaysia established in 1909. In 1909, Penang had the distinction of being the first town in the States and Settlement of Malaya (Malaysia) to be chosen for YWCA.
In 1909, Miss Fairburn, a British missionary, threw open the doors of her home in Dato Keramat Road to the needs of young women. She acted as President, Secretary and Treasurer. They started as a weekly Bible reading and prayer group, which grew and expanded its activities.
When Miss Fairburn left, the missionary Ladies carried on until Mrs Dewar, a Major’s wife took over. During the 1914 war, the members knitted for the soldiers. Miss Rutherford, the World’s secretary, came to the Penang Centre on her visit to Malaya.
Subsequently on the 19th January 1924, a Rest Room was opened opposite the Victoria Pier, which was under the care of Mrs Khoo Gek Tuan. The room was very popular, as all the working girls were very regular. Monthly Tiffins were held and they used to be “full house”. This building was pulled down later (former Chinese Chamber of Commerce).
In July 1927, a Hostel called “The Tower” was opened for working girls in Anson Road with Miss Anderson as the Hostel Warden. The Hostel was successful for some time but as the rent was very high and the house was in a poor condition, another house was acquired in Logan Road . However, due to lack of Finance Miss Ewart who was in charge had to close down the Hostel in 1938.
In 1938, The “Y” also ran a Creche at Patani Road for the children of Municipal Labourers. These activities and special efforts connected with the Second World War continued until December 1941.
From 1941 until 1946, all the records and minute books were lost, due to the war. Information about the YWCA history from 1909-1941 were gathered from the old members of the YWCA in 1946 by Miss Ivy Sabapathy and read out to the members at the YWCA meeting held at 5.00pm 13th September 1952.
Anniversary PENANG. Wed. - The Penang Y.W.C.A. will hold a 'family gathering" to celebrate the third anniversary of the opening of its hostel at Green Lane on Saturday. (The Straits Times, 17 August 1961, Page 5)
1961 Convent Green Lane
青草巷修道院女中 SMK Convent Green Lane(CGL) Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, better known as Convent Green Lane, is a girls' secondary school in Penang. It is located along Green Lane, with one side along Hamilton Road.
Convent Green Lane was established by the Roman Catholic missionaries, primarily instrumental being Father M. Surmon of the Missions étrangères de Paris. Father Surmon serves as the parish priest of the Church of the Holy Spirit (now Cathedral of the Holy Spirit) while staying at the Little Sisters of the Poor along Batu Lanchang Lane. Convent Green lane was opened on 3 April, 1961.
The first headmistress of Convent Green Lane was Sister Helen O'Sullivan. From a beginning with just twelve classrooms, the school has expanded over the decades. The school hall was added in 1968 while a library came into being six years down the road
1965 The North Malaysia Malayali Samajam(Established in 1951)
The association is located at 213, Jalan Mesjid Negeri, Penang
The North Malaysia Malayali Samajam was formed in 1951 to cater for the social and cultural needs of Malayalis in the states of Penang, Kedah and Perlis.
Malayalis are those who hail from the ethno- linguistic area of Malabar coast in South India now called Kerala, then comprising of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar with a language of their own called Malayalam. Malayalis have their own traditions and customs and celebrate festivals such as Onam.
In the year 1952,the Samajam bought a piece of land and a small attap building at 95-E, Jalan Sungei Pinang, Penang , for a price of RM14,750 . This amount was advanced free of interest by some of our members. The advances though late were refunded to them in instalments.
The present premises at 213, Jalan Mesjid Negeri, Penang , was purchased on 2nd February, 1964 at a price of RM52,000 for which we had to dispose our old premises at 95-E, Sungei Pinang Road for RM 48,000. The balance required was raised through donations from our members.
In 1965, the Association moved to its new premises at 213, Jalan Mesjid Negeri, Penang. Extensive renovations were carried out to the building to cater for the social, cultural and sports activities.
1967- The Cerebral Palsy Children's Association of Penang.
The Spastic Children's Association of Penang was founded 1962 by the Rotary Club The first training session started in 1963 with 5 children. In 1966, the late Lim Cheng Ean offered the Association the use of his house, Hardwick, and the training centre was relocated there. In 1967 the Centre opened at Green Lane on one acre of leased land. Staff include teachers, an occupational therapist, a speech therapist, as well as a physiotherapist,
There are now 23 members of the staff at the training centre, there are 107 children at 10 classes. In October 2000 a workshop was opened for kids of 18 years and above who are unable to find suitable jobs. It makes book marks, files and other articles for sale.
Penang is the only centre in Malaysia providing treatment by the Dr Wang method. The kids come from as far away as Kuching
1972 Chung Hwa Confucian High School,
Chung Hwa Confucian High School (or 孔圣庙中华中学 in Chinese) is a national-type secondary school located in Green Lane, Penang, Malaysia. The school is one of the 10 Chinese secondary schools in Penang and also has a good record of co-curriculum and public examination results.
It is the only overseas Chinese School to be sanctioned by the Qing Dynasty Government of China, which officially presented it with royal seals bearing the school's name through its consulate and local businessman Cheong Fatt Tze, who is also credited with being the founder of the school.
1981 Lam Wah Ee Hospital
Lam Wah Ee Hospital (traditional Chinese: 南華醫院) is a 700 bedded tertiary acute care hospital located at Jalan Tan Sri Teh Ewe Lim, Penang, Malaysia. This not-for-profit private hospital is accredited by the Malaysian Society for Quality in Health and ISO 9001:2008 certified. The Hospital started as a provider of traditional Chinese Medicine treatment in 1883 while the Western Medicine division commenced operations in 1983.
The idea of setting up a community health care centre in Penang was first mooted by a few Chinese community leaders in 1876 and a fund-raising campaign was subsequently launched. A traditional-style building was completed in 1883 on a plot of land about 10,600 sq. ft. at Muntri Street. This was known as the Lam Wah Ee Hospital.
1981 Lung Yen Association, Penang槟城龙岩会馆(established 1929)
211,Jalan Masjid Negeri 11600 Penang. Tel: 2828021
Lung Yen Association is in Green Lane, at 211, Jalan Masjid Negeri, 116001 Pulau Pinang. But the Association also have a old art deco style building at the corner of Fish Lane and Malay Street, Georgetown. It is a clan association for people from the district of Longyan(龙岩/龍岩) in Fujian province, China.
The Squash Queen, Nicol David
Datuk Nicol David was born in Penang. She studied in Green Lane Convent Secondary School. Datuk Nicol Ann David is a Malaysian female professional squash player. She is currently ranked world number 1 in women's squash, and is the first Asian woman to achieve this. She won the British Open title in 2005, 2006 and 2008, as well as the World Open title in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010. Her parents are Ann Marie David and Desmond David. Her father is an engineer and her mother is a retired school teacher. Nicol has two sisters. The family is from Green Lane.