Indian Association Penang (IAP) is a non-profit organization base in Penang Malaysia. It was incorporated on 23 April 1924. IAP played on role in the social development of the Indian community.
Milestone of Indian Association Penang
1923 - This was the year when the late Mr. P.K. Nambyar gave effect to his desire and the desire of the Indian Community in Penang to establish an INDIAN ASSOCIATION.
23rd April 1924 - Consent was given to register the Association under the Companies Ordinance, and after the usual formalities, the Association was registered.The ASSOCIATION was from its inception housed at 423, Dato Keramat Road, the present premises of the Chinese Convent School. Soon it came to be regarded as one of the foremost INDIAN ASSOCIATIONS in Malaya.
20th April 1928- The demise of the founder, Mr. P.K.Nambyar. This is regarded as a great lost to the association
1928~1930- Mr.N.K.Menon, son of the late Mr. P.K.Nambyar took over as the 2nd President
1930~1933- Mr.N.Raghavan tok over as the 3rd President. This is the time when the Free Tamail school was started under the management of Mr. V.G.Pragasam and continued by Mr.V.M.Krishnaswamy
1933~1935- Mr.H.G.Sarwar took over as the 4th President
1935~1937- Mr. N. Raghavan, who was also the 3rd President took over again as the 5th President
1937- Mr.K.S.Pillai took over as the 6th President.
1938~ Mr. N.Raghavan tool over for the third time as the 7th President
February 1937- The premises occupied by the Association was sold to the Chinese Convent School. The Association had to shift.
8th of July'1937- The present property of 5 acres at No.11, Jalan Bagan Jermal was purchased.
13 January'1940 - A small clubhouse was built at a corner of this prime land
1940 ~2009 - The Indian Assocation has been maintained well by various office bearears and the clubhouse still stands on the original location with some renovations along the way.