Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ah Nieu - Ice Kacang Puppy Love(初恋红豆冰)

Ah Niu (Chinese: 阿牛), is the nickname and stage name of Tan Kheng Seong (Simplified Chinese:陈庆祥), a popular singer in Malaysia and Singapore in the late 1990s.

Ah Niu (Chinese: 阿牛), is the nickname and stage name of Tan Kheng Seong (Simplified Chinese:陈庆祥), a popular singer in Malaysia and Singapore in the late 1990s.

In 1997, his popularity was restricted to mainly Malaysia and Singapore, until Richie Jen (Traditional Chinese:任賢齊, Taiwanese singer) sung his song (Dui Mian De Nui Hai Kan Guo Lai 對面的女孩看過來 (Looky here!)- "direct translation=Look here, girl from opposite") which became widely popular.



In December 1998, Rock Records sent Ah Niu to expand his singing career in Taiwan. He quickly gained popularity with the Taiwanese masses with his brand of quirky, folk-ish songs that mainly focused on his daily life as a kampung boy in Malaysia and unrequited love.

His popularity gained even more momentum when the likes of Rene Liu and Karen Mok requested Ah Niu to compose songs for them which steadfastly placed him as a firm staple not only in Taiwan, but also in China and Hong Kong.

Ah Niu has been a special guest for many concerts around Hong Kong, China and Taiwan. He also starred in the movie Para Para Sakura by Aaron Kwok in year 2001.

Ah Nieu is from Butterworth(北海), Penang.

Ice Kacang Puppy Love(初恋红豆冰) is a latest Malaysian Chinese film, directed by Ah Nieu, a Malaysian singer; and he is also the main actor, supported by the actor and actress who are also international singers from Malaysia.

http://www.ah-niu.com/









I still remember in the early 90s, when his song "Dui Mian De Nui Hai Kan Guo Lai (對面的女孩看過來)" was so popular, many Chinese loved the song, and become his fan. My daughter was his fan. When he come to Kuantan for a show in Megamall, I bought my daughter to the mall to support him. Not only because my daughter is his fan, I am also fond of the song. Moreover his is from Penang, from Bukit Mertajam(tua sua ka lang), there is more reason to support him.

But the show which is free, cost me RM200 or $200 Malaysian dollars. This is because when I helped my daughter to go near the stage to give Ah Niew flower, someone beside me pick my pocket and steal my wallet. An expensive show for me....

But please dun tell him, it is my secret between daughter and father.

Ah Nieu is a Penangkia....a proud son of Penang. No problem lah....

No comments:

Post a Comment