Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Anson Road & Major General Archibald Edward Harbord Anson
View Larger Map
Anson Road or Jalan Anson(安顺路)
Anson Road(安顺路) is one of the main road in Penang. It connects Burma Road(車水路)with Perak Road(霹靂路). From the Burma Road cross road with Larut Road(拉律路), it goes straight to the T junction with Perak Road. Anson Road was named after Colonel (later Major General) Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, the Lieutenant Governor of Penang from 1867 to 1882, and Acting Governor of the Crown Colony of the Straits Settlements in 1871-1872, 1873,1877, 1879-1880. Anson Road in Singapore was also named after him. When it was created around 1877, Anson Road forms the old town limit at that time.
(Note: Interestingly, during the period when Major John Frederick Adolphus McNair become Acting Lieutenant Governor from 1881 to 1884. Colonel Anson retired officially in 1882. That was the time Seven Streets Precinct was developed by Major McNair, and McNair Street was named after him, near Anson Bridge. Major Samuel Dunlop(1884-1885) succeeded Major McNair, a street was named Dunlop Road, located off Anson Road)
The Chinese called it ann-soon-lor(安顺路),derived from the English name. To the local Chinese, the name of Anson is good name, because Anson, pronounced as An-soon by Chinese,means peace(安), stability with smooth sailing(顺).
(i) Between Burma Road(車水路)and Macalister Road(中路)
From the Burmah Road junction, on the right are two beautiful pre war bungalow, before reaching Westland Road(威斯蘭路). The bungalow owned by Rubber Trade Association of Penang is now used as entertainment outlet Oriental KTV, located in Oriental Club, No.16, Anson Road Penang. HEAH Joo Seang who was born in the late 1890s in Ipoh, Perak. He attended a Chinese school in Ipoh and St Xavier's Institution in Penang, where he passed his Cambridge School Certificate. Heah started his career as a clerk in the Han Tong Company, leaving after a few years to go into business for himself. Through hard work and family business links, he built a fortune in the rubber industry and became one of Malaya's biggest rubber magnates. He was president of the Penang Rubber Trade Association for many terms. After Westland Road is Tenaga office(Wisma TNB), KDU college(no.32), and historical MGS( Methodist Girls' School). Crossing Logan Road(罗眼路) is formerly Chung Ling High School Union with a badminton court, but now the court had been converted to Canon office . Further down is another bungalow before reaching the corner lot with bungalow now used as Ghee Hiang biscuit sale outlet. Logan Road was named after James Richardson Logan, a prominent lawyer in early Penang.
From the left is Volvo car shown room at the corner, the See Hoy Chan building, followed by a bungalow used as entertainment outlet(Club Atlantis), another bungalow used as car park now, and then is the Federal Government building(Bangunan Persekutuan), followed by Penang Taipu Association building(at No.33), used now as an art college. Beside the art college is former Wisma Pen -group building, Penang Lady Chin Woo Athletic Association, Garden Inn hotel(at 41, Anson Road), Dim Sum House(点心之家), furnishing show room, and Pageout car shown room , and you reach Macalister Road cross junction.
(ii) Between Macalister Road(中路)and Perak Road(霹靂路)
From the right is a bungalow with a big compound now used as a bank, cross the small Lim Ew Toon Road(林耀椿路), between Lim Ew Toon Road and Siam Road (暹罗路)is two rows of shophouses, from Siam Road there are row of residential houses until Nirvana Road(尼哇纳路), Bangunan Anson Apartment followed with Penang Buddhist Association(found in 1925), which was once a tourist attraction , the road end at the corner kongfu school to reach Perak Road junction. Interestingly the side streets and smaller street in the residential area are with names which are Buddhist linked, eg. Nirvana Road(丁格尼哇纳), Dharma Road( 达玛路), Deva Pada Road(蒂哇路), and Bodhi Avenue or Lebuhraya Bodhi(菩提街). Former Thomas Cupper, the late Law Teik Hock was staying at 38, Kim Bian Aik Road(金联益街). The late Law Teik Hock played alongside other Malayan badminton greats like Wong Peng Soon, Ong Poh Lim, Chan Kon Leong, Yeoh Teik Chye, Teoh Seng Khoon and his namesake in Ooi Teik Hock back in the 40s and 50s. He is best remembered as the player who inspired Malaya to Thomas Cup victory 61 years ago. His stunning 15-5, 15-0 win over Jorn Skaarup at first singles sparked his team-mates into overdrive as they overran Denmark 8-1 to lift the coveted Cup. Kim Bian Aik Road was named after a old established gold merchant/ Jewellers-Retail business, Kim Bian Aik Co Sdn Bhd (金联益有限公司) , with business at 136, Carnarvon Street, Penang. Beside the shop is NO 124, which is Kim Bian Seng (PG) Co. S/B (金莲盛（槟城）有限公司), may be related.
Lim Ew Toon Road(林耀椿路)is named after Lim Eow Thoon (b1886- d? ), the 2nd son of Lim leng Cheak(林寧綽)(b 1850-d 1901)and Tan Say Siang Neoh (陳西祥), from the powerful Lim family of the Kedah state. His eldest brother, Lim Eow Hong (林耀煌) (b 1878-d?), who was a director of the Straits Echo and Criterion Press, committee member of the Free School, and a Justice of the Peace. Lim Eow Thoon was a member of the Chinese Recreation Club; he was an active sportsman, where he played tennis, football, cricket and billiards. Lim Eow Thoon was also keen patron of the Penang Turf Club. He married Goh Saw Chooi, the second daughter of Goh Ewe Keong of Penang. Lim Eow Thoon’s private residence was at No.278, Penang Road, Penang. Educated at Penang Free School.
From the left is Proton car shown room at the corner, a row of residential houses now converted to commercial shops, a few shops before reaching Seang Tek Road(祥德路). Seang Tek Road is named after Koh Seang Tek( 辜尚德 1838-1874). Crossing the road is the Anson Road Market, between Seang Tek Road and Malacca Street(马六甲路). After Malacca Street is the row of beautiful residential houses to Pahang Road(彭亨路). After Pahang Road to Dunlop Road( 南洛路)is an old government sport club Kelab Sukan Suruhanjaya Pulau Pinang, where government servants used to play tennis there. Over the Dunlop Road(南洛路)is a office complex(Complex Mutiara), after the BP petrol kiosk, further down is Johor Road (柔佛路), where you can see row of hawkers at both end of the road. The Padang Brown followed and Padang Brown food court are between Johor Road and Perak Road , the end of Anson Road at T junction. The place was donated by David Brown family to the people of Penang.
North Malaya Tang's (Nanyang Tong) Association (北马邓氏南阳堂), is at 72-J, Anson Road
Padang Brown Hawker Centre in 1883
Penang Time dated 20-7-1883, Datu Kramat Botanical Garden opened to the public on Thursday evening on 19th July 1883. On the left is Miniature Lake, with a fountain in the centre, erected in the island of artificial rocks. A little distance stand the monument to Mr Brown(source: Straits Times Weekly Issue, 26 July 1883, Page 7). The band from Salvation Army were sometime seen playing at the memorial monument. But now it is a hawker center and not mini botanical garden as initially intended. Mr David Brown(b 1778- d 1825) is the pioneer Penang planter whose family donated Padang Brown to people of Penang.
Major General Archibald Edward Harbord Anson KCMG(b 1826 - d 1925)
Major General Archibald Edward Harbord Anson KCMG, was born on 16 April 1826 with a twin sister at 32, Devonshire Place. He was the son of Major General Sir William Anson, 1st Baronet Anson K.C.B(B 1772 - d 1847).
The Anson Baronetcy, of Hatch Beauchamp in the County of Somerset, is a title in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 30 September 1831 for William Anson. He was the third son of George Anson; his elder brothers were Thomas Anson, 1st Viscount Anson and General Sir George Anson. Sir William was the uncle of Thomas Anson, 1st Earl of Lichfield and Major-General George Anson and the great-nephew of George Anson
His mother Louisa Frances Mary(d 1837), was the only child from the John Dickenson family of Birch Hall. His family comprised three brothers and three sisters. Sir John William Hamilton(b 1816), Marry Louisa(b 1818), William Vernon Dickenson(b 1819 d 1842), Rev George Henry Greville(b 1820), Anne Georgiana Frances( b 1822)and Louisa Frances Maria(b 1826, twin with Archibald Edward Harbord)
(source: Debrett's Peerage of England, Scotland, and Ireland. revised, corrected and continued(1840), by John Debrett)
He was taught Latin grammar by his father before he went to school. In 1834 he went to Rev. Dr. Pincknay School and later in 1837 to Mr. Miller’s school on Woolwich Common.
Sir Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, KCMG, JP Major-Gen, (ret.) RA, was Lieut.-Gov. of Penang 1867-1882 and Acting GOT. Straits Settlements 1871-1872, 1877,1879. ANSON, Major-general Sir Archibald Edward Harbord, RA, CMG (1876), KCMG (1882).— B. 1826 ; entered the royal mil. acad., Woolwich.
1826 - born as a twin with Louisa Frances Mary Anson on 16th Apr, 1826 at 32 Devonshire place, London, England, baptized on 22nd May 1826 at St Mary, St Marylebone, London, England
1834 - In 1834 he went to Rev. Dr. Pincknay School
1837 - Went to Mr. Miller’s school on Woolwich Common. Edinburgh Academy
1841- 1841 census, he was the member of household at 32 Devonshire place, London, England. In 1841, he entered the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. The Royal Military Academy (RMA) at Woolwich, in south-east London, was a British Army military academy for the training of commissioned officers of the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers. It later also trained officers of the Royal Corps of Signals and other technical corps. He was presented with sword for exemplary conduct. He was a contemporary of Clarke(Colonel Sir Andrew Clarke R.E., C.B., K.C.M.G ) and Jervois (Sir William Francis Drummond Jervois, GCMG, CB (b1821 –d1897))at Woolwich.
1844 - He was 2nd Lieutenant from 19-6-1844, and served in the Royal Artillery in 1844
1846 - was a 1st Lieutenant on 1-4-1846
1848 - Royal Horse Artillery in 1848; served in the Royal Horse Artillery during the Crimean War, has the Crimean medal and clasp, the Turkish war medal,
1851 - Married on 9 Jan. 1851, with Elizabeth Mary, daughter of the late Richard Bourchier ( d. 23 Sept. 1891) at Limerick, third largest city in the Republic of Ireland.
1852 - promoted to 2nd Captain on 9-7-1852 (source: The new army list and militia list(1858); by H. G. HART, pg 289)
1855 - War Office on Sept 5th, 1855 promoted Second-captain Archibald Edward Harbord Anson of Royal Artillery, to full captain(Pg 319, The United service magazine, Part 3, 1856) , served in the Eastern campaign in 1855, including the siege of Sebastopol.
British rule in Mauritius(1810–1968)
Mauritius( today officially the Republic of Mauritius)is an island nation off the southeast coast of the African continent in the southwest Indian Ocean, about 900 kilometres (560 mi) east of Madagascar. In the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815) the British set out to gain control of the island. Despite winning the Battle of Grand Port, Napoleon's only naval victory over the British, the French surrendered to a British invasion at Cap Malheureux three months later. They formally surrendered on 3 December 1810, on terms allowing settlers to keep their land and property and to use the French language and law of France in criminal and civil matters. Under British rule, the island's name reverted to the original one. Sir Robert Townsend Farquhar, 1st Baronet (b 1776 -d 1830) was the 1st Governor of Mauritius from 4 December 1810 to 20 May 1823. Mauritius then went on to become independent in 1968. Captain Archibald Edward Harbord Anson was in Mauritius when Sir William Stevenson (1805 - 1863) was the 9th Governor of Mauritius from 20 Sep 1857 - 9 Jan 1863.
1858 – He was Captain of Royal Artillery on 20th Sept 1858,and appointed as Acting Superintendent of Police, Mauritius
1859 - Superintendent of Police, Mauritius in Sept 1859
1860 - The Queen's office at Downing Street announced on 14th Dec 1860 that Captain Archibald Edward Harbord Anson was appointed as Inspector General of Police, Mauritius(source: London Gazette dated 14th Dec 1860). He was Inspector-General of Police in Mauritius from 1860 - 1867.
Note: Madagascar(today Republic of Madagascar, older name Malagasy Republic) is an island nation in the Indian Ocean off the southeastern coast of Africa. In 1817, the Merina ruler and the British governor of Mauritius concluded a treaty abolishing the slave trade, which had been important in Madagascar's economy. In return, the island received British military and financial assistance. British influence remained strong for several decades, during which the Merina court was converted to Presbyterianism, Congregationalism and Anglicanism. France invaded Madagascar in 1883, the British accepted the full formal imposition of a French protectorate in 1890. Madagascar however was never a colony of Britain. Captain Archibald Edward Harbord Anson never served in Madagascar from 1862 to 1867 as some source mentioned. He was still Inspector General of Mauritius during this period.
1862 - Captain Anson was one of the team member of the British Mission to the court of Radama II(1861-1863)of Madagascar, led by General MG Johnstone to represent HM at the coronation of King Radama II on 23th Sept 1862 at Antarananarivo. The team of 6 party include Major General M.G. Johnstone, Acting Governor of Mauritius(10 January 1863 to 21 August 1863); Captain Anson, Inspector General(1860 - 1867); Commodore Dupre, the commander of Imperial Navy of East Cost of Africa, each of these officers are accompanied by a suitable staff, Rev Vincent Willian Ryan, the first Bishop of Mauritius; Lt Samuel Pasfield Oliver(b1838-d1907)and another one name not known, making total of 6 members (Note: eight months after the coronation, King Radama II was assassinated).
1864 - On 21-7-1864, Captain Archibald Edward Harbord Anson was promoted to Brevet Major(Note: Brevet referred to a warrant authorizing a commissioned officer to hold a higher rank temporarily, but usually without receiving the pay of that higher rank except when actually serving in that role. An officer so promoted may be referred to as being brevetted).
1866 - The War Office, Pall Mall on 29th May 1866 announced that Captain and Brevet Major Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, on the seconded list, to be Lieutenant Colonel dated 12th May 1866(London Gazette, May 29th 1866). He was still Inspector General of Police, Mauritius(as reported in THE NEW ARMY LIST, AND MILITIA LIST. NO. XI. 2ND JULY, 1866. by H. G. HART).
1867-1871: Lt Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, Lieutenant-Governor of Penang under Governor-general Sir Harry St. George Ord at Singapore.
1867 - The Queen appointed Lt Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, RA, to be Lieutenant Governor of Prince of Wales Island on Feb 27th, 1867(Bulletins and other state intelligence, Part 1, 1868 Pg 246; THE NEW ARMY LIST; AND MILITIA LIST(1868), by COLONEL H. G. HART`, pg 400 & 401 ). He was the last "Lieutenant Governor of Prince of Wales Island", the title changed to Resident Councilor of Penang. The Government Offices were housed in the Old East India Company Headquarter, which stood on the corner of Downing Street and Beach Street.
(Note: There were report from some Canadian source, that "Anson, Sir Archibald Edward Harbord, Lieutenant- Governor of Prince Edward Island, 1867-70: b. April 16, 1826, in London, England; died in England, Feb. 26, 1925"(source: Encyclopedia Canadiana, Volume 1(1968), by Canadiana Co. pg 170; The Encyclopedia of Canada: Volume 1(1937), by William Stewart Wallace, University associates of Canada, limited,pg 76; The Dictionary of Canadian biography, Volume 1(1945), by William Stewart Wallace, published by The Macmillan company of Canada limited, pg 15). But as per official website of Office of Lieutenant Governor Prince Edward island, the Lieutenant Governors of Prince Edward Island from 1867 to 1870 were (i)Dundas was appointed Governor of Prince Edward Island on 8 June 1859, until 22 October 1868 (ii)Sir William Cleaver Francis Robinson was the fourteenth Governor of Prince Edward Island from 6 October 1870 to 4 July 1873 . (source: http://www.gov.pe.ca/olg/gallery/index.php)
On 1 April 1867 the Straits Settlements were transferred from the control of the Indian Government to that of the Secretary of State for the Colonies in London (Colonial Office).The first Colonial Office Governor of the Straits Settlements was Governor-general Sir Harry St. George Ord at Singapore from March 16, 1867 to November 4, 1873.
Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson left London in May 1867 accompanied by his wife and daughter, and arrived only in June.
1867 Penang Riot - Gang war between Chinese Khian Teik and Ghee Hin societies and involving the Malay Red Flag and White Flag societies, it last for 10 days from August 3rd to 14th, 1867. This was the most depressing event for Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, who had just arrived few months ago.
1868 - Brevet as Brevet Colonel on 2-11-1868(ref: THE NEW ARMY LIST, AND MILITIA LIST(1869), by Colonel h g hart) Note there were some source said 12th May 1874 e,g, The Colonial Office list for 1924, Colonial Office. Note: He was promted to Lt Colonel on 12th May 1866, and promoted to Colonel on 23rd Dec, 1875, normally a Brevet will promoted to the rank in a short time, from 2-11-1868, it took 7 years, for the date of 12-5-1874 it took only 7 months which is more logical. The Colonial Office's record is more acceptable.
1871- Harry St. George Ord went to England in 1871 and Brevet Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson (1826-1925) became Acting Governor of Singapore. From Mar 4.1871-Mar.22 1872.( source: wikipedia, need confirmation)
(Note: Arthur Nonus Birch, Actg. Lieutenant-Governor of Penang, Malaysia from 1871–1872 for Brevet Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson. Sir George William Robert Campbell, KCMG, Inspector-General from 1866–1891 and Acting Lieutenant-Governor Of Penang from 1872–1873).
1872 - The Third Larut War
1873 - The Fourth Larut War
In August 1873, Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, the last Lieutenant-Governor of Penang, sought to bring about a ceasefire between the two parties and convened a meeting at the beginning of the month attended, apart from Anson, Chung Keng Quee (Hai San), Ho Ghi Sui (Ghee Hin), Foo Tye Sin (pro-Hai San), Ngah Ibrahim (pro-Hai San), Abdullah (pro-Ghee Hin), Tengku Kudin (pro-Abdullah) and a British Naval Captain.
The two sides agreed to keep the peace pending British arbitration with Ngah Ibrahim taking responsibility for the Hai San and Abdullah taking responsibility for the Ghee Hin. Abdullah failed completely in his task in ensuring the Ghee Hin kept the peace that the British were prompted to back Ngah Ibrahim and the Hai San.
On the 3rd of September 1873 outgoing Straits Settlements Governor Sir Harry Ord recognised Ngah Ibrahim, through a proclamation, as the independent (i.e. independent of Perak rule) ruler of Larut. On 5 September he temporarily lifted an arms embargo (imposed since February) just long enough for the Hai San in Larut to receive munitions. In the middle of that month a British vessel got into an entanglement with some Ghee Hin junks and this led to British bombardment and capture of Ghee hin stockades at Matang and Kuala Selinsing.
Acting as Governor of Strait Settlement at Singapore from 3 November 1873 - 4 November 1873,
1873-1875: Brevet Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, Lieutenant-Governor of Penang under Governor-general Sir Andrew Clarke at Singapore from November 4, 1873 to May 8, 1875.
1874 - Pangkor Treaty
Sir Archibald Edward Harbord Anson was also involved in Pangkor Treaty. The Pangkor Treaty of 1874 was a treaty signed between the British and the Sultan of Perak. Signed on January 20, 1874, on the island of Pangkor off Perak, the treaty is significant in the history of the Malay states as it legitimized British control of the Malay rulers and paved the way for British imperialism in Malaya.
1875 - promoted to Colonel on 23rd Dec, 1875
1875 - Assassination of JWW Birch
James Wheeler Woodford Birch, commonly known as J. W. W. Birch (3 April 1826 - 2 November 1875) was the first British Resident in Perak, Malaysia. He was appointed to the post on 4 November 1874 as the government adviser to the Sultan of Perak following the signing of the famous Pangkor Treaty on 20 January 1874, which established Perak as a British protectorate state. Birch was killed on 2 November 1875 by a local Malay chief, Dato Maharajalela and his assistant Sepuntum, who speared him to death while he was taking his bath, nearby a river, in Pasir Salak, near today's Teluk Intan (Teluk Anson)
1875-1877: Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, Lieutenant-Governor of Penang under Governor-general Sir William Jervois at Singapore.
1876 - knighted as CMG(Companion of The Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George) as issuded by Colonial Office, Downing Street, dated 26th May, 1876( The Edinburgh Gazette dated 30-5-1876)
1877 - Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, 1st time acting as Sir William FD Jervois(who had been appointed as Governor of South Australia on 29th June 1877) as Governors for Crown Colony of the Straits Settlements at Penang from April 3, 1877 to August 1877.
1877-1879: Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, Lieutenant-Governor of Penang under Sir William Cleaver Francis Robinson at Singapore(who took office from August 1877 to 10th Feb 1879).
The Old Town Hall was the oldest Municipal Building in Penang and its foundation was first laid on 1st January 1879 by Lt. Governor Sir Archibald Edward Harbord Anson.
10 Feb 1879 - 6 May 1880, Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, 2nd time acting as Governors for Strait Settlement. Sir William Cleaver Francis Robinson, was leaving, and pending the arrival of Sir Frederick Weld.
27TH August 1879 - War office , Pall Mall announced that Colonel Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, CMG,of Royal Artillery, retires with honorary rank of Major General date 27TH August 1879 (London Gazette, dated 26th August 1879).
1879-1880: Major General(rtd)Archibald Edward Harbord Anson was Acting Governor of the Crown Colony of the Straits Settlements at Penang from February 10, 1879 to May 16, 1880.
1880-1881: Major General Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, Lieutenant-Governor of Penang under Sir Frederick Weld at Singapore.
1881-1882: Major John Frederick Adolphus McNair, was Actg.Lieutenant-Governor of Penang (1881 -1884) for Major General Archibald Edward Harbord Anson. This means that Major General Archibald Edward Harbord Anson was on leave from 1881 to 1882?
1882 – Teluk Anson (Anson Bay), was named after Major-General Sir Archibald Edward Harbord Anson in honour of the last Lieutenant-Governor of Penang, who drew the plan of the modern township in 1882.
1882 – He retired, was knighted higher as Knight Commander (KCMG)with the title Sir.
1906 - Sir Archibald m. 2ndly, 15 May 1906, Isabelle Jane (who d. 11 May 1923), daughter of the late Robert Armistead, of Dunscar, Lancashire.
He was a JP at Sussex, England
1920 - He published his reminiscences under the title "About others and myself" (London, 1920). In his memoirs “About Others and Myself.” he describes the feeling of depression upon his appointment as Penang’s Resident Councillor.
1925 - Died on 26-2-1925, at the age of 99 years.
GENERAL Sir William Anson, 1st Bart., K.C.B., b. 13 Aug. 1772, younger brother of the 1st Viscount Anson, and uncle of Thomas William, 1st Earl of Lichfield (see that title), entered the army, and acquired considerable distinction in the Peninsular war. He was created a baronet 30 Sept. 1831. Sir William died on 14 Jan. 1847. He married 26 Jan. 1815, Louisa Frances Mary, only child of John Dickenson, by Mary his wife, only child of Charles Hamilton, son and heir of Lord Archibald Hamilton, 7th son of William, 3rd Duke of Hamilton, and by her (who d. 25 July 1837) had the issues:-
1. JOHN WILLIAM HAMILTON (Sir), 2nd bart; born on 26th Dec 1816,baptized at St Mary, St Marylebone, London, England on 29th Jan 1817. Sir William Anson was succeeded by his son,Sir John William Hamilton Anson, 2nd Bart., he married on 27 July 1842, Elizabeth Catherine(who d. 3 July, 1903), dau. of Major-Gen. Sir Denis Pack, K.C.B., by his wife, the Lady Elizabeth Beresford, youngest dau. of the 1st Marquess of Waterford.
2. Mary Louisa Anson, born on 5th Jan 1818, London, England; baptized at St Mary, St Marylebone, London, England on 26th Jan 1818; died in 1856. Married Rev. Matthew Thomas Farrer(1816 - 1889)
3. William Vernon Dickenson, Royal Navy, b. 10 Feb. 1819; baptized at St Mary, St Marylebone, London, England on 10th Mar 1819; d. 1842 in service.
4. George Henry Greville (Ven.), M.A., rector of Birch, archdeacon of Manchester, hon. canon of the Cathedral, b. 19 July 1820; baptized at St Mary, St Marylebone, London, England on 9th Aug 1820; m. 27 May 1848, Augusta Agnes, eldest dau. of the Very Rev. Walter F. Hook, D.D., dean of Chichester, and died without issue on 8 Feb. 1898.
5. Louisa Frances Mary Anson, born as twin with ARCHIBALD EDWARD HARBORD at London, England on 16th Apr 1826; baptized at St Mary, St Marylebone, London, England on 22nd May 1826; died unmarried on 2 Dec. 1934.
6. ARCHIBALD EDWARD HARBORD, (Sir) K.C.M.G. (1882), major-gen. R.A (retired), J.P. Sussex inspector-gen. of police, Mauritius, 1858-67, lieut.-governor Penang, 1867-82, administrator of Government Straits Settlements, 1871-2, 1877, and 1879, served in Crimea 1855, and in Malay Peninsula 1875-6, b. 16 April, 1826; baptized at St Mary, St Marylebone, London, England on 22nd May 1826; married 1st, 9 Jan. 1851, Elizabeth Mary, dau. of the late Richard Bourchier and by her (who d. 23 Sept. 1891) had issue:-
1. Archibald John George, b. 4 Nov. 1851; m. 29 April 1916, Gwendolene, dau of the late Rev. Jonathan Havard-Jones, rector of Alpheton, and widow of Francis Charles John Du Cane (son of late Maj. Francis Du Cane, R.E.), and d. 11 Jan. 1929. His widow m. 3rdly, Rev. Henry Patrick Dawson, Chaplain, R.N. (ret.).
2. John William Henry, capt. Royal Irish Rifles, b. 5 Nov. 1856; m. 30 Jan. 1883, Frances Anne, dau. of Rev. Thomas Hartshorne Hardinge, rector of Ashley, co. Stafford, and widow of R. Leigh, of Lynwood, St. Leonards, and died on 4 April 1889, without issue.
Sir Archibald married 2nd time on 15 May 1906, Isabelle Jane (who d. 11 May 1923),daughter of the late Robert Armistead, of Dunscar, Lancashire,and d. 26 Feb. 1925. Their issues:-
1. Mary Louisa, m. 8 July 1848, Rev. Matthew Thomas Farrer, of Ingleborough, and d. 15 Nov. 1856, leaving issue. He d. 14 July 1889 (see Landed Gentry).
2. Anne Georgiana Frances, m. 19 Feb. 1846, Rev. William Thornton, of Brockhall, Wheedon, Northamptonshire, who d. 20 May, 1881, leaving issue.
3. Louisa Frances Maria, m. 16 April 1857, Major Francis Du Cane, R.E., who d. 4 Oct. 1880, leaving issue. She d. 14 Jan. 1904.
(source: Burke's Peerage, 1938 Coronation Edition, pp.130-131, http://home.comcast.net/~anson_ancestry/peers.html)
1. There is a street in both Penang and Singapore named after him. Anson road was named after Sir Archibald Anson who served as Lieutenant-Governor of Penang. He was assigned the task of administering the Straits Settlement during the interim periods between governors (Sir Henry George 2nd, Sir William Jervois and Sir Frederick Weld) in the 1870s. He retired in 1882.
2. Anson Bridge between Beach Street and Bridge Street(now Jalan CY Choy)over the Prangin River, later Prangin Canal, and now Prangin Ditch. Anson Bridge was built across the Prangin Canal, and named after Archibald Anson the then Lieutenant-Governor of Penang, 1880-1881.
3. The town of Teluk Anson or Anson Bay was named after Major-General Sir Archibald Edward Harbord Anson as the town was planned by him in 1882. The name however has changed to Teluk Intan. The Chinese called it ann-soon(安顺), still with the English name Anson, because Anson, pronounced as An-soon by Chinese , is a good name with meaning of peace(安) , stability with smooth sailing(顺). It is a good name for a port.
Teluk Intan, is a town located in the state of Perak in Malaysia. It is the largest town in Hilir Perak district and third largest town in the state of Perak with an estimated population of around 110,000.
In the early days, the town was known as Teluk Mak Intan, after a female Mandailing trader. It was here that the Perak rulers held court from 1528 until Kuala Kangsar became the royal town in 1877. It was the “heartland of the Perak Kingdom”. Historically, it was the port for Kinta from the 1870s to 1880s and up to the early 20th Century, with jetties at Durian Sebatang and Batak Rabit. At the time, it may be a small costal trading town.
Archibald Edward Harbord Anson, the last Lieutenant Governor of Penang, drew the plan of the town in 1882, had named it Teluk Anson after himself. It was once the largest of Malaya’s minor ports, with regular steamer services to Penang and Singapore. In 1903, Teluk Anson was known as “our great Southern Port”. Its decline came after the expansion of the railway line north and south of Tapah Road in 1909. The fourth railway track in Malaya was built connecting Tapah and Teluk Intan,
In 1982 during the centenary of the town's establishment, the name was changed again to Teluk Intan (Diamond Bay) by the Sultan of Perak. The town still has a number of colonial buildings and Chinese shophouses . The local Chinese speak a Hockkien similary to Penang Hockkien, different from the surrounding area where Foochow or Cantonese dialects are spoken.
4. Taman Anson in Bidor, Perak.
1. Remains, historical and literary, connected with the palatine counties of Lancaster and Chester, Volume 47(1859), Chetham Society.(This book Pg 152 to Pg 155, mentioned about Rev George Henry Greville Anson).
2. Debrett's complete peerage of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland(1838),by William Courthope, Printed for J.G. & F. Rivington, 1838( Pg 202 to 204, on Thomas William Anson, The Earl of Lichfield).
3. The Gentleman's magazine, Volume 182(1847), F. Jefferies, Pg 423-424(on the background of General Sir William Anson)
4. The Royal Military Academy, Woolwich (1741-1939), http://www.remuseum.org.uk/articles/rem_article_academy.htm
5. Anson Road(2003), by Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala, National Library Board Singapore, http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_348_2004-12-17.html
6. Teluk Intan, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teluk_Intan
7. My earlier blog on Sunday, July 5, 2009, David Brown(1778- 1825)- Pioneer Nutmeg Planter in Penang